La bibliothèque royale de Turin est une institution culturelle turinoise et un lieu patrimonial inscrit à l'UNESCO. La bibliothèque royale est une des résidences de la famille royale de Savoie. Elle est située dans le complexe du Palais royal, donnant sur la place Castello.
Beckford's Tower, originally known as Lansdown Tower, is an architectural folly built in neo-classical style on Lansdown Hill, just outside Bath, Somerset, England. The tower and its attached railings are designated as a Grade I listed building. Along with the adjoining Lansdown Cemetery it is Grade II listed on the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens of special historic interest in England.The tower was built for William Thomas Beckford, a rich novelist, art collector and critic, to designs by Henry Goodridge, and was completed in 1827. Beckford used it as a library and a retreat, with the cupola at the top acting as a belvedere providing views over the surrounding countryside. The Italianate building at the base of the tower housed drawing rooms and a library. Extensive grounds between Beckford's house in Lansdown Crescent and the tower were landscaped and planted to create Beckford's Ride.
William Beckford’s ability to build, and to collect, was made possible by the wealth he inherited and continued to accumulate as an owner of plantations and enslaved people, and through the compensation he received from the government following the abolition of slavery. This aspect of his life is explored within the Beckford Tower Museum displays .
Following Beckford's death in 1844, the tower and lands were donated to Walcot parish and a burial ground created, with the Scarlet Drawing Room being converted into a chapel. In 1931 the house and tower were damaged by a fire and a public appeal was made for funds for its restoration. The cemetery closed in 1992 and the next year the site was bought by the Bath Preservation Trust who have carried out extensive renovation. It is now home to a museum displaying furniture originally made for the tower and paintings, prints and objects illustrating Beckford’s life as a writer, collector and patron of the arts.
The Grand Pump Room is a historic building in the Abbey Church Yard, Bath, Somerset, England. It is adjacent to the Roman Baths and is named for water that is pumped into the room from the baths' hot springs. Visitors can drink the water or have other refreshments while there.
It has been designated as a Grade I listed building since 1950. Along with the Lower Assembly Rooms, it formed a complex where social activity was centred, and where visitors to the city gathered.
La basilique San Petronio est une basilique d'architecture gothique située sur la Piazza Maggiore à Bologne en Italie. Elle est dédiée à saint Pétrone, évêque au Ve siècle devenu saint patron de la ville. Elle est la plus grande église gothique de brique du monde .
San Giorgio Maggiore est une basilique abbatiale vénitienne située sur la petite île du même nom dans le bassin de Saint-Marc, face à la Piazetta. Elle est desservie par les Bénédictins de la congrégation de Subiaco.
La chapelle Baroncelli est la chapelle située à l'extrémité du transept droit de la basilique Santa Croce à Florence. Elle possède un cycle de fresques de Taddeo Gaddi exécutées entre 1328 et 1338.
Le Auckland Art Gallery Toi o Tāmaki est un musée d'art situé à Auckland, en Nouvelle-Zélande. Créé en 1887, c'est le plus grand musée d'art de la Nouvelle-Zélande. Le musée se trouve au coin de la rue Wellesley et Kitchener, en face de la bibliothèque municipale.
Les portraits de dignitaires maoris peints par l'artiste Charles Frederick Goldie font partie de la collection permanente.
La Galerie d'art de l'Australie occidentale : Art Gallery of Western Australia, est une galerie publique qui fait partie du Centre culturel de la ville de Perth. Elle est située proche du musée d'État : le Western Australian Museum et la Bibliothèque d'État . La galerie courante a été ouverte en 1979.
La Galerie d'art de l'Alberta est située dans le centre d'Edmonton dans la province canadienne de l'Alberta. La collection de cette galerie d'art publique comprend plus de 6 000 œuvres dont des peintures anciennes et contemporaines, des sculptures, des installations et des photographies d'artistes canadiens et étrangers. En plus de ces collections permanentes, l'AGA accueille des expositions temporaires et propose des programmes d'éducationLe bâtiment fut construit en 1968 dans un style brutaliste par Don Bittorf. La galerie a connu une rénovation complète conçue par Randall Stout Architects. La nouvelle galerie a ouvert ses portes le 31 janvier 2010. Les nouveaux espaces rénovés, 7 900 m2, offrent presque le double d'espace d'exposition qu'auparavant, ainsi qu'un restaurant, un théâtre de 150 places assises et un espace consacré à la collection permanente,.
Le palais du Vatican ou, selon sa dénomination officielle, le Palais apostolique est une des résidences des Papes depuis leur retour d'exil à Avignon . Auparavant, et pendant plus d'un millénaire, les papes ont habité au palais du Latran à proximité de leur cathédrale, l'archibasilique Saint-Jean de Latran. Depuis l'entrée des troupes italiennes à Rome, le 20 septembre 1870, les souverains pontifes ne pouvant plus séjourner au palais du Quirinal , qui était leur résidence d'été, ils habitèrent et travaillèrent donc en permanence au palais apostolique, à proximité du tombeau de saint Pierre dont ils sont les successeurs.
La construction du nouveau palais ne débuta que sous le pontificat de Nicolas V au XVe siècle. Celui-ci voulut en faire le plus grand palais du monde. Mais il ne put réaliser qu'une faible partie de ses projets.
Le palais héberge les appartements du souverain pontife , ainsi que les bureaux de la curie romaine, la bibliothèque apostolique vaticane et une partie des musées du Vatican.
C'est un complexe de bâtiments de 55 000 m2 comprenant environ 1 400 pièces, ce qui en fait le plus grand palais du monde entièrement habité. La partie des musées du Vatican incluse dans le palais apostolique comprend la chapelle Sixtine, la chapelle Nicoline, les chambres de Raphaël et les appartements Borgia.
Le pont Anitchkov est un pont situé dans les quartiers anciens de la ville de Saint-Pétersbourg, en Russie, sur la rivière Fontanka, bras gauche du fleuve Néva. C'est le pont le plus connu de la Fontanka. Il est emprunté par la Perspective Nevski, l'avenue principale de la ville. Le pont actuel a été construit en 1841-1842, puis reconstruit en 1906-1908. Il est célèbre pour les quatre sculptures de chevaux de Piotr Klodt qui le décorent.
Alloa Tower in Alloa, Clackmannanshire in central Scotland is an early 14th century tower house that served as the medieval residence of the Erskine family, later Earls of Mar. Retaining its original timber roof and battlements, the tower is one of the earliest, and largest, of Scottish tower houses, with immensely thick walls. It was designated as a scheduled monument in 1960 and is now owned by the National Trust for Scotland.
Thomas Hopper Alderson GC was a British Air Raid Precautions warden in Bridlington, and the first person to be directly awarded the George Cross shortly after its creation in 1940.Alderson was fifth of six children. He went first to his local village school and then continued his schooling at Elwick Road senior boys' school, West Hartlepool, becoming Head Boy. During World War I he witnessed the bombardment of West Hartlepool by the German High Seas Fleet on 16 December 1914. After leaving school at 15 he first worked as an office boy and a draughtsman, and then undertook an engineering apprenticeship. He joined the Merchant Navy, becoming a first engineer. Following the birth of his daughter in 1935 he became an engineer for West Hartlepool council. He moved to Bridlington in 1938 as works supervisor for the Corporation. Local authorities were responsible for air raid precautions and trained their own workforces in rescue work. Alderson attended an anti-gas school at Easingwold, near York, and became an instructor in the subject.
He worked as part-time Air Raid Warden, leading a detachment of rescue and demolition parties in Bridlington. The coastal town was soon attacked by Luftwaffe bombers, and residential areas were hit. On three occasions in August 1940, Alderson led rescue teams and entered dangerous buildings to rescue trapped civilians. He was the first person to receive the newly-instituted George Cross from the King, and in a radio broadcast at the time insisted that his award was for all the rescue parties in Bridlington. This interview can be heard in full on The Blitz, an audiobook CD of wartime recordings.
In 1946, Alderson joined the East Riding of Yorkshire County Council workforce as an assistant highways surveyor. He then joined the new Civil Defence Corps, this time to protect the civilian population from nuclear warfare, rather than conventional bombs. On 28 October 1965 he died of lung cancer in Northfield Hospital at Driffield, Yorkshire. His George Cross is now on display at the Imperial War Museum alongside a medal from the RSPCA, awarded later in the war for rescuing two horses from a burning stable.
The Ackland Art Museum is a museum and academic unit of The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. It was founded through the bequest of William Hayes Ackland to The University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill. It is located at 101 S. Columbia Street near the intersection of Franklin Street at the northern edge of campus.
With its connection to the university, the museum is deeply committed to education and to programs that enhance learning for both adults and children. It is free of charge to visitors, and offers a wide selection of events related to exhibition, community, and university topics.
Wimpole Estate is a large estate containing Wimpole Hall, a country house located within the Parish of Wimpole, Cambridgeshire, England, about 8 1⁄2 miles southwest of Cambridge. The house, begun in 1640, and its 3,000 acres of parkland and farmland are owned by the National Trust. The estate is regularly open to the public and received over 300,000 visitors in 2018. Wimpole is the largest house in Cambridgeshire.